The Interactive Design B.F.A. prepares students for the expanding and exciting field of visual communication through emerging media. Interactive Design is a specialized application of graphic design that places added emphasis in the areas of web design, motion graphics, IU (user interface) and UX (user experience) design , design for mobile applicatons, and digital storytelling.
With its solid foundation in formal design theory and history, a curriculum sensitive to both academic and industry expectations, and access to emerging media, Interactive Design is distinct and well suited for students interested in art, animation, design, creativity, film, music, or games.
The B.F.A. is an intensely focused professional degree structured to facilitate the development of a mature, diverse and competitive portfolio. It is an undergraduate course of study that consists of 132 credit hours, 90 of which are in art and design foundations, graphic and interactive design, and art/design history. The interactive design curriculum is sequential in nature. (See curriculum guide for recommended sequencing.)
This program prepares students for full participation in the professional interactive design community. Like all of the Art & Design programs, it is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art & Design (NASAD).
The goals of this program are to:
- Prepare students for professions that create or implement graphic/interactive media, and provide a balanced, well-rounded approach to the theoretical, practical, and technical aspects of interactive and graphic design
- Prepare designers who are fluent in the design process/methodology, including the ability to define, reserach, and generate multiple solutions to design problems
- Encourage creative problem solving, critical thinking, and self-evaluation
- Encourage communication skills through presentation, critique, and creative ideation
- Provide a strong foundation in the history of art/design
- Encourage and promote ethical proactices
- Promote collaboration and teamwork
Design & Visual Art Programs - Core Requirements
Interactive Design, B.F.A. Requirements
(63 credits) (See curriculum guide for recommended sequencing)
Design & Visual Art Programs - General Education Requirements
Skills/Processes for Literacy
- Literature/Language - ENGL or Foreign Language (3)
- Philosophy (3)
- Humanity Elective (except ADXX courses) (3)
- Psychology (3)
- History or Government (3)
- One course selected from the following disciplines: (3)
- ECON, GEOG, HIST, PSCI, PSYC, SOC
Natural Science/Quantitative Reasoning
- Science Elective - BIOL, CHEM, ENV, PHYS, SCI (3)
- Math or Science Elective (3)
Electives from College of Arts and Sciences
(except courses within the major) (2 courses total)
- Elective #1 (3)
- Elective #2 (3)
Of the 132 credit hours required for this program, one half of the 90 credits (for the major and Design & Visual Art core combined) and the last 30 credit hours must be taken at Maryville to satisfy requirements for graduation.