Dec 02, 2023
The goal of the bachelor of science program in Communication Sciences and Disorders is to prepare students for entrance to graduate school in speech-language pathology or audiology. A capstone clinic experience/project completed during the senior year of undergraduate work will encourage students to explore the broad scope of practice available to certified SLPs and audiologists, allowing students to better tailor a graduate program to suit their specific areas of interest. Completion of the bachelor’s degree will qualify the student to apply for the Speech Language Pathology Assistant Certificate in the State of Missouri.
The undergraduate curriculum is offered on-campus and online, and requires 128 credit hours to graduate. The program is built on a strong liberal arts and sciences core.
Observation and clinical work hours are required.
Health and Other Special Requirements
- The following requirements must be met prior to participating in clinicals:
- Physical Examination
- Documentation of Immunization or Titer Immunity
- Measles/Rubeola, Mumps, Rubella (MMR)
- Tetanus, Diphtheria and Acellular Pertussis (Tdap)
- Polio series completed
- Varicella titer or Varicella vaccinations
- Hepatitis B Vaccine Series or Declination
(Students may not be able to go to certain fieldwork sites if they do not receive the vaccine)
- Annual Flu Vaccine
- TB-Tuberculin PPD Test (documented 2-step initially, then annual)
- Health Insurance (copy of card required annually)
- CPR Certification-American Heart Association Basic Life Support for the Health Care Provider required
- Urine Drug Screen (from the Maryville authorized lab)
- Criminal Record Background checks from Maryville University’s authorized agency and signed release to clinical sites (possible checks include: state criminal checks, disqualification lists, sex offender lists, social security number, address, and alias).
- Any additional requirements that may arise
- Fitting for a respiratory isolation device (i.e. N95 Mask) may be required by some clinical sites
- Some hospitals now require nicotine screenings for all new employees. Therefore it is anticipated that students may be excluded from some clinical sites based upon their use of nicotine
General Education Requirements
Skills for Literacy
Fine Arts Elective
General Education Required for Major
CMSD Major Requirements
Other Required Courses
- 128 credit hours minimum (last 30 hours in residency)
- A minimum half the major credit hours in residency
- A minimum half the minor credit hours in residency
- 60 credit hours must be completed at a 4-year institution