Sep 27, 2022
Students who wish to teach social science/social studies courses at the high school level (grades 9-12) enter the secondary/high school teacher preparation program. The program involves extensive professional education courses with a strong grounding in content area coursework. All teacher preparation programs also involve extensive experiences in partner schools.
Prior to acceptance, transfer students may need to pass the MoGEA and/or MoCA at 220 or higher, depending on the number of credit hours they are able to transfer into Maryville. Please direct questions to Stacey Ruffin.
General Education Requirements
- Fine Arts elective
- Literature elective
- Multicultural elective (Study Abroad, Foreign Language, etc.)
General Education Required for Major
Professional Education Requirements
Education majors spend a considerable amount of time in schools gaining firsthand classroom experience with students. Beginning in the sophomore year, all education students are required to complete a practicum experience each semester, with increasingly rigorous expectations regarding student interactions, lesson planning and delivery, and collaboration with professional educators in the field. These experiences build upon one another to provide teacher candidates with exposure to students from multiple grade levels in diverse schools and districts, as well as to a wide variety of teaching/learning opportunities in real-world settings. These practicum experiences culminate in student teaching experience in the final semester of the initial teacher preparation program.
School of Education and Missouri Licensing Requirements
- MoGEA with a passing score (220 or higher on all subsections)
- MoCA with a passing score (220 or higher on all subsections)
- 3.0 or higher professional GPA (includes content area and education coursework)
- 2.75 Cumulative GPA (Please note: calculated from ALL college coursework, not just Maryville credits)
Maryville University Policies
- 128 credit hours minimum (last 30 hours in residency)
- A minimum half the major credit hours in residency
- A minimum half the minor credit hours in residency
- 60 credit hours must be completed at a 4-year institution