Dec 09, 2023
The elementary education program at Maryville prepares students to teach children in grades 1-6. Classes, field experiences, an area of concentration and a general education contribute to a broad-based elementary teacher preparation program.
Maryville’s School of Education has been recognized for its work at the elementary and early childhood level by the Missouri Department of Elementary & Secondary Education, various local school districts and as part of John Goodlad’s National Network for Educational Renewal. In addition, it has a longstanding history of strong partnerships with area school districts.
Prior to acceptance, transfer students may need to pass the MoGEA and/or MoCA at 220 or higher, depending on the number of credit hours they are able to transfer into Maryville. Please direct questions to Stacey Ruffin.
General Education Requirements
Skills for Literacy
- Fine Arts elective
- Literature elective
- Multicultural elective (Study Abroad, Foreign Language, etc.)
Professional Education Requirements
Education majors spend a considerable amount of time in schools gaining firsthand classroom experience with students. Beginning in the sophomore year, all education students are required to complete a practicum experience each semester, with increasingly rigorous expectations regarding student interactions, lesson planning and delivery, and collaboration with professional educators in the field. These experiences build upon one another to provide teacher candidates with exposure to students from multiple grade levels in diverse schools and districts, as well as to a wide variety of teaching/learning opportunities in real-world settings. These practicum experiences culminate in student teaching experience in the final semester of the initial teacher preparation program.
School of Education and Missouri Licensing Requirements
- MoGEA with a passing score (220 or higher on all subsections)
- MoCA with a passing score (220 or higher on all subsections)
- 3.0 or higher professional GPA (includes content area and education coursework)
- 2.75 Cumulative GPA (Please note: calculated from ALL college coursework, not just Maryville credits)
Maryville University Policies
- 128 credit hours minimum (last 30 hours in residency)
- A minimum half the major credit hours in residency
- A minimum half the minor credit hours in residency
- 60 credit hours must be completed at a 4-year institution