The Diversity Studies certificate is an interdisciplinary program of study that encourages critical thinking about issues relating to diversity and inclusion. As part of Maryville University’s broad strategic plan and belief in the importance of promoting inclusivity, the Diversity Studies certificate promotes an increased awareness of one’s own intersectionality in relation to others, an empowering of self and others, and an increased understanding of the historical forces that have shaped current day social exchanges. The Diversity Studies certificate promotes a broad understanding of identities related to diversity including ethnicity, gender, race, sexual identity, culture, religion, class, and ability.
The Diversity Studies certificate is aimed at complementing a student’s major program of study. Consistent with Maryville University’s active learning ecosystem and its value of critical thinking, the certificate challenges students to move beyond passive tolerance of diverse individuals and thought to embrace a more proactive, reflective, and intentional role in preserving the cultural diversity of the global community and build inclusiveness and global awareness through intentional programming.
Students who complete the Diversity Studies certificate will be able to:
- Engage in the exploration of the intersectionality of race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender, and ability in a pluralistic society
- Assess the social issues influencing the lived experiences of minority communities
- Outline the influence of social class position on the formation of a person’s attitudes, behaviors, and life-chances
- Explicate the social forces impacting the patterns of upward and downward social mobility
- Identify the historical significance of changing gender roles across U.S. society