Sep 17, 2021
Medical (Clinical) Laboratory Sciences (MLS) is an area of the health professions that provides students with the necessary coursework and laboratory information needed for the diagnosis and treatment of disease. Clinical Laboratory Scientists perform a variety of laboratory tests, ensure the quality of the test results, explain the significance of laboratory tests, evaluate new methods and study the effectiveness of laboratory tests. A graduate of the MLS program at Maryville University will be trained to perform and interpret laboratory tests and to explain the appropriate use and meaning of those tests to others.
This program consists of 3-4 years of lecture and laboratory courses depending on the track a student selects, followed by one year of clinical education at one of our accredited internship programs at a hospital laboratory setting in Missouri. The intensive and extensive time the students spend in the clinical environment allows them to develop strong technical skills and professional competency by the time they complete the program.
General Education Requirements
Skills for Literacy
- Fine Arts elective
- Literature or Foreign Language elective
- Philosophy elective (PHIL 325 - Ethics: Values/Decisions strongly recommended, some non-affiliated MLS programs require this course)
- Humanities elective
- Select one:
- American History or Politicial Science elective
- Two Social Science electives
General Education Electives
- Two electives from the College of Arts and Sciences
General Education Required for Major
Good Academic Standing
To remain in good academic standing for the BS in MLS (ie. 3+1 program) or BS Bio/MLS (ie. 4+1 program) the student must:
- Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of a 3.0
- Achieve a minimum grade of a C in all Chemistry, Biology, and Math courses
Biology Core Requirements
Upper Level Baskets
Non-Biology Science & Math Requirements
3+1 or 4+1 Degrees
BIOL 499 - MLS Internship is taken in fourth year for 3+1 major and fifth year for 4+1 double major.
Internship may be applied for during the Fall as soon as MLS required courses are close to completion. Please direct questions to the MLS Program Director.
BS in Medical Laboratory Science Degree
Designed for transfers or incoming students entering with credits. (Minimum of 143 credits upon graduation.)
Double Major BS Biology/MLS
Complete a Biology degree with 128 credits, then complete the MLS internship. (Minimum of 164 credits upon graduation.)
Upon successful completion of the BS in MLS or the BS Bio/MLS, the student is eligible to sit for the National Board of Certification examination to become credentialed as a Medical Laboratory Scientist, MLS (ASCP).
Please Note: These courses may be necessary depending on the MLS internship chosen.
- 128 credit hours minimum (last 30 hours in residency)
- A minimum half the major credit hours in residency
- A minimum half the minor credit hours in residency
- 60 credit hours must be completed at a 4-year institution